Referrals may be made to Hospice of West Alabama (HOWA) by anyone at any time by calling (205) 523-0101 or (877) 362-7522. HOWA will call the family to get information and informed consent.
HOWA will also contact the doctor for the following information:
- Admitting diagnosis and prognosis
- Current medical findings
- Orders for medications and treatments
- Patient and family understanding of disease and prognosis
- Relevant patient and family information
- History and physical
- Order for hospice care
Hospice staff will make an appointment for a family/patient visit to get information for a patient assessment. They will develop a plan of care based on the nursing/social work assessment.
How to Talk to Patients about Hospice
- Be prepared by confirming medical facts and providing an appropriate environment.
- Establish what the patient and family know about their condition by using open-ended questions.
- Determine (in advance) how the patient and family want to receive information.
- Deliver the information in a straightforward manner.
- Respond to emotions of the patient and family.
- Establish goals for care and treatment possibilities when possible.
- Formulate an overall plan with patient.
For further information call Hospice of West Alabama toll-free, (877) 362-7522, or (205) 523-0101.